A warm welcome to our second Head of Campus - Student Experience update.
What another exciting few weeks we’ve had at Reading College! It has been brilliant to see so many of our students back from their Progress Review weeks into the classroom and embedding the skills that they have learned.
This week we had our first student representative focus group, an opportunity for students to give us feedback on college life. This was really well attended, with many students giving us constructive feedback on their time at college so far. If you have any feedback from your perspective, please do not hesitate to contact me.
To enhance my own learning as a Head of Campus - Student Experience, I have this week been attending workshops with Brighter Futures for Children as part of the ‘One Reading’ community partnership, which focuses on trauma informed practice. This trauma informed approach to learning and behaviour is one that we will be looking to embed across our organisation, and I cannot wait to share more of this with you in time.
There are a couple of key college updates that I would like to share with you which will impact our students.
- As an organisation we are now offer Borrowbox to staff and students. This is an online free library service to access ebooks. To start using BorrowBox, students just need to register. Simply download the app from the app store, select 'Activate Learning Group' when prompted and sign in with Activate Learning credentials. It really is as simple as that.
- Our students may have shared with you that there have been some changes to the college canteen (known as Recharge). This is a temporary measure due to a lower demand on the service during these Covid-19 times. Hot and cold meals, hot and cold drinks, and different options for those with dietary requirements will all still be available – with slightly less variety.
- Following the end of the national lockdown, our hair and beauty salon have re-opened to the public which we are really pleased about. To book an appointment, please call the salon directly on 0118 955 4777 . More information including opening hours and prices are available on the website.
Looking to the future we are very excited about the new calendar year and all the learning and extra-curricular opportunities that this will provide students. A couple of updates:
- Our Student Engagement team will be working with students to create their ‘2021 Bucket List’, an opportunity for them to plan ahead for what they want to achieve personally and academically next year – let’s dream big!
- A reminder for any students applying to university, the UCAS deadline is January 15. If a student would like to speak to our impartial team of experienced Careers advisers, then they can book an appointment for advice and guidance.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you well over the upcoming festive period. Our term will end on December 18 and the campus will close on December 22, re-opening on January 4. I hope you are able to enjoy a restful break and time with loved ones, and I look forward to working with all of our wonderful students again in 2021.
Head of Campus – Student Experience at Reading College
We are changing the way that we inform you about COVID-19 cases on campus as we recognise that people might want to be able to access the information for themselves, rather than relying on us sending the information to you. We will now be updating our COVID-19 pages to show you the total number of cases by campus and the number of cases in the past week, broken down by staff and student.