What I'll learn
Over the one year course you will learn by completing projects and assignments using a broad range of techniques, processes and materials. Areas covered include workshops in photography, fine art, textiles, graphic design, fashion, ceramics, sculpture and metalwork.
You will study the following topics:
- Unit 1: Introduction to materials, processes and technical skills in art and design
- Unit 2: Introduction to contextual research in art and design
- Unit 3: Introduction to drawing skills
- Unit 4: Introduction to communication skills in art and design
- Unit 5: Solving 2D creative problems
- Unit 6: Solving 3D creative problems
- Unit 7: Solving time-based creative problems
And one of the following:
- Unit 8: Developing and producing a personal project in art and design at Level 2
- Unit 9: Developing and producing a personal project in art and design at Level 3
How I'll learn
Over the year, you will work on a variety of different projects, delivered through a combination of practical project work, specialist workshops and lectures.
In addition, you will develop English and Maths and entrepreneurial skills through live projects and enterprise activities.
Students should take responsibility for a significant amount of self-directed study. This will allow you to build a portfolio of work suitable for progression on to a Level 3 course or employment. You will also develop professional skills in presentation techniques.
How I'll be assessed
You will be set practical assignments to complete that reflect professional practice. Emphasis is placed on working and learning with others. You also need to be able to work independently and take responsibility for your own learning.
Throughout the course, you will be required to complete additional tasks, including research, on your home study days.