Activate Learning is committed to protecting your privacy. This privacy notice explains how we collect, use and share your personal information, and your rights in relation to the personal information we hold.
This privacy notice concerns the collection and use of data relating to students who are studying a free course through Activate Learning Online.
Activate Learning Further Education Corporation is the controller of personal information, and is subject to the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
We may collect, use and share your personal information in order to carry out our public task to provide education and training to you.
What information we hold
The categories of personal information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Personal information (such as name and email address);
- Course information (such as course subject, access logs, module completion and assessment scores).
Why we hold your information
We use your information to:
- Support your learning;
- Monitor your progress;
- Comply with the law regarding data sharing;
- Keep you safe;
- Keep you informed about issues affecting and related to your studies;
- Assess and improve the quality and relevance of our services;
- Comply with our contractual obligations;
- Keep you informed of courses, services and promotions that may be relevant to you;
- Conduct research to improve our operations, curriculum offer and teaching practices.
The lawful basis for using this information
Under GDPR, we are able to process information on certain legal grounds (bases). In this case, we collect and use information under the following bases:
- Article 6b - the fulfilment of contract
- Article 6c – legal obligation
- Article 6e – public task
- Article 6f – legitimate interests
We may from time to time contact you, on the basis of legitimate interests, to let you know about courses, services and promotions that may be relevant to you, based on the course(s) you have accessed. You have the right to unsubscribe from these communications at any time, using either the ‘unsubscribe’ link in our emails or by emailing email@example.com.
Collecting student information
The majority of student information you provide to us is necessary for us to fulfil our contract with you to provide educational services tailored to your needs, and failure to supply such information may mean that we are unable to provide the support you require and are unable to enrol you onto one of our programmes. On the other hand, some student information is provided to us on a voluntary basis. We will inform you whether you are required to provide certain information to us or if you have a choice in this.
Storing student information
We store student information securely and in line with our Data Protection Policy and associated procedures. A copy of our Data Protection Policy can be obtained from the Data Protection Officer, whose contact details are listed below. We will hold your information for 1 year from the academic year in which you last completed a course on Activate Learning Online.
Who we share student information with
We routinely share student information with:
- External software suppliers so that they can store your information externally and securely in order to display it in their tools, or where they need a copy of our data to resolve software issues;
- IT support and security services.
We do not share information about our students with anyone unless it is necessary and in line with the lawful basis for processing listed above, or with the consent of the student concerned. Where data is routinely shared, a data processing agreement will be established to ensure the protection of students’ information.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, students have the right to:
- Request access to the information we hold about them (Subject Access Request);
- Be informed of the identity of the controller, the reasons for processing their personal data and other relevant information necessary to ensure the fair and transparent processing of personal data;
- Object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress;
- Prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing;
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means;
- In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and/or
- Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the data protection regulations.
In order to make a Subject Access Request or to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact our Data Protection Officer:
Jamie Wade, Director of Governance
Phone: 01865 551226
Address: Activate Learning
City of Oxford College
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/