Aged 16–18 and looking to start college in January?
Join the Pathfinder programme in January 2019!
If you aren’t currently in education, employment or training, and you don’t know what to do next, you can start a full-time Activate Learning Pathfinder programme in January 2019. By enrolling on to the Pathfinder programme at City of Oxford College, Reading College or Banbury and Bicester College, you will be supported to make informed decisions about your future.
This flexible programme is designed around your requirements and lifestyle, and is aimed at giving you the best possible start in your further education or career. Pathfinder will enable you to progress onto a full-time course at any of our colleges in September 2019, or develop the skills to enter employment directly after completion of the programme.
This programme is ideally suited to young people aged 16–18 who are looking to change course, or get back in to education after a break.
What does the programme include?
- Classes in the subjects you enjoy or want to find out more about
- An opportunity to develop your English and maths skills, whilst working towards achieving your GCSEs
- Relevant work experience with a local company
- Mentoring and coaching to ensure you achieve your best
- Access to a wide range of college resources and facilities
- A buddy to help you make friends and settle in to college life
How to enquire and apply
More information about the programme
- The programme starts on Monday 21 January 2019, although rolling starts are possible
- Upon application or referral, applicants will be invited to a 1:1 interview
- Students will join existing vocational classes
- All Pathfinder students will come together for a group tutorial on Wednesdays between 1–2pm at each campus
- Students will have regular 1:1 coaching with a Performance Coach
- Students will either complete individual units within their chosen subject or a project which allows them to sample multiple disciplines
- Students will study towards GCSE English and maths, or an in-house college certificate in English and maths, depending on your start date
- To guarantee progression to an Activate Learning programme in September 2019, students must have 90%+ attendance and a positive reference from your tutor
Download the Pathfinder flyer
Ben Gresty is from Winnersh and came to Reading College with an interest in business and IT. He was unsure as to what opportunities were available to him.
He enrolled on the Pathway programme, a flexible and tailored combination of tutorials, work experience and vocational classes that helps 16–18-year-olds to establish how they’d like to progress in their education.
Ben says that the Pathfinder programme, “gave me an insight into what college life would be like and the sort of [academic] work that I’d be doing. It was a lot harder than anything I’d done before, but was better because of the independence that I was given and the flexibility of it all.”
“(College) teachers gave me a chance when I wasn’t too sure about what I wanted to do and how to figure out what I wanted to do next, and [the pathway] has given me the opportunity to take up Business as a full time course.”
After completing Level 2 in Business, Ben hopes to enrol on to the Level 3 IT programme and then on to study an IT degree, with Southampton University as his first choice.