Visas and immigration for the best experience

Coming to the UK? You may need a student visa to live and study here.

If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you do not need a visa. The EEA consists of European Union countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Nationals of Omar, Quatar and United Arab Emirates do not need a visa to visit the UK. This includes a short-term student visa for up to six months. You would need to complete a free online Electronic Fee Waiver document before you travel. 

Studying for less than six months?

Want to study in the UK for up to six months (or up to 11 months for an English language course)? You can apply for a short-term student visa or child visitor visa (if you are 17 years old or younger).

With this visa, you cannot work (paid or unpaid). If you want to extend your visit at the end, you will have to return home and apply for a visa.

Studying for more than six months?

If you are a national from outside the EEA or Switzerland, you must apply for Tier 4 visa clearance to study in the UK for more than six months. You need to apply less than three months before your course starts.

Please visit the UK Visas and Inmmigration website or the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website for more information.

Our visa diagram gives you more information on the different options available to you.

Extending your visa from the UK

If you are in the UK, but need to stay longer to complete your course or start a new course, you can apply to extend your visa - before your current visa expires.

Please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website for more information.