Reading, RG1 4HJ
This advanced level course covers all aspects of the travel and tourism industry, and is designed for people keen to progress directly into employment in the industry or to higher education.
You will study a number of topics across this two-year programme. On successful completion of the course, you can continue your education by studying for a degree at university.
Alternatively, you can start work in the travel and tourism industry.
What I'll learn
In year one, you will cover 10 units:
- investigating travel and tourism
- the business of travel and tourism
- marketing travel and tourism products and services
- the UK as a destination
- customer service in travel and tourism
- retail travel operations
- long haul travel destinations
- UK visitor attractions
- entertainment for holidaymakers
- a residential study visit in travel and tourism
You will also complete:
- Functional skills qualifications - you'll get the chance to gain transferable skills in communication, maths and ICT
- Welcome Host Award in customer service - demonstrate skills which promote excellent customer service in travel and tourism.
In the second year, you will complete the following ten units:
- preparing for employment in the travel and tourism industry
- specialist tourism
- working as a holiday representative
- conferences and exhibitions
- responsible tourism
- European destinations
- investigating the cruise sector
- hospitality operations in travel and tourism
- handling air passengers
- researching current issues in travel and tourism (this is at Level 4)
You can also take an additional qualification in year 2: the NCFE Airline Cabin Crew Certificate.
How I'll learn
As well as tutorials and assignments, you take part in residential trips and visits to travel and tourism organisations.
How I'll be assessed
There are no exams on this course. All 20 diploma units are assessed by completion of assignments which you produce throughout the year. You also do various activities and role-plays under observation.
We'd like to thank all the employers who provide invaluable work placements for students on these courses
You will need 5 or more GCSEs grades A*-C (or equivalent), including English and maths, or a BTEC Level 2 Diploma, grade Merit or Distinction, plus GCSE grade C or above or Functional Skills at level 2 in English and maths
If you are interested in a Level 3 programme and have alternative qualifications you would like us to consider, please contact us to discuss your circumstances. Applicants will be invited to attend an interview and complete an initialassessment. All students will have their literacy and numeracy needs supported within the programme.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.