Oxford City Centre,
Oxford, OX1 1SA
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
The aim of this qualification is to recognise the skills, knowledge and competence required for an individual to work unsupervised as a personal trainer with a wide variety of clients.
This includes being able to offer one-to-one training, baseline assessment, nutritional advice and progressive programming which is specific to the individual needs of a client.
You can add bolt on courses such as:
- exercise to music
On successful completion, you can work as a personal trainer in a gym or become self-employed.
What I'll learn
This course covers a number of scientific elements including:
- anatomy and physiology, including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous, endocrine and energy systems and their relation to exercise and health
- how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- how to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity, and the importance of healthy eating
- how to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- how to apply the principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme
- how to design, manage, and adapt a personal training programme with apparently healthy adults of all ages
- how to deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a programme for apparently healthy adults of all ages
On completion of the course you will have earned a nationally-recognised, Personal Training Level 3 Diploma.
You will competently be able to assess clients, devise a personalised training programme and deliver a training session confidently.
How I'll learn
You learn through a mixture of practical and theory-based sessions utilising case studies, discussion groups and lectures on the core content.
How I'll be assessed
Assessment is completed through:
- development of a portfolio of evidence
- multiple-choice exams
- continuous assessments
- practical assessment
All applicants must be over the age of 18 and have five GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, including maths and English.
A Fitness Instructing Level 2 qualification is essential.
You can go onto Level 4 qualifications such as GP referral, cardiac rehabilitation and pre and postnatal exercise.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.