What I'll learn
This course will give you some knowledge of various types counselling theory and how to apply it to client issues. You will also learn about ethics and mental health aspects which will prepare you for work as a professional counsellor within an agency setting. To achieve the Counselling Studies Level 3 Certificate, learners must be assessed as proficient in all seven learning outcomes of the mandatory unit and must be assessed as proficient in both internal and external assessments.
The expectation from CPCAB is that learners have a minimum of 80% attendence and it is essential learners are able to attend the first session.
- Prepare to work within an ethical framework for counselling
- Understand the counselling relationship
- Understand difference and diversity issues to develop empathic understanding
- Work within a user-centred approach to counselling
- Use counselling theory to develop self-awareness in counselling practice
- Understand theories of counselling and mental health
- Use feedback, reflection and supervision to support counselling studies
Additional tutorials may be available at additional cost to the course subject to numbers wishing to participate.
After qualifying at Level 3, you can apply for the CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling which qualifies you as a Counselling Practitioner.
How I'll learn
We use a variety of teaching methods which include: formal instruction, practical experience e.g. counselling practice, discussion, group supervision, individual tuition, group presentations and Here ‘n’ Now Sessions.
How I'll be assessed
You will be assessed by producing a completed portfolio, through counselling practice sessions, your participation in presentations to the group, check-ins and discussions, as well as the mock exam and external exam at the end of the course.