Oxford City Centre,
Oxford, OX1 1SA
Learn the exciting techniques used in the discipline of forensic science, ranging from visual examination to physical or chemical analysis.
This two-year Applied Science Level 3 Extended Diploma is equivalent to three A Levels.
It delivers a wide range of core science subjects and provides an introduction to specific topics such as industrial applications, as well as using statistical and mathematical tools required for science.
With an Applied Science Level 3 Extended Diploma you can progress to higher education to study courses at university. These could range from forensic or crime scene science to biology, chemistry, or forensic psychology.
What I'll learn
You will follow the Edexcel BTEC specification. There are core and specialist units which will include:
- Principles and Applications of Science
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application
- Principles and Applications of Science
- Investigative Project
- Contemporary Issues in Science
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Diseases and Infections
- Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
- Applications of Organic Chemistry
- Electrical Circuits and their Application
- Astronomy and Space Science
- Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques
- Industrial Chemical Reactions
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Biomedical Science
- Medical Physics Applications
- Materials Science
- Forensic Evidence, Collection and Analysis
- Cryogenics and Vacuum Technology
- Forensic Fire Investigation
- Forensic Traffic Collision Investigation
How I'll learn
You will acquire a range of relevant skills including decision making, problem solving, challenging assumptions, and quantifying and managing information.
You gain the skills necessary for further academic study such as strong report writing and study skills, including presentation skills. You also improve the wider skills vital for success in further study or employment including self-confidence, speaking in front of others, working with others, taking responsibility and managing your time.
Classes take place over four days a week between 9am and 5pm. We expect you to be fully committed to your studies and attend all timetabled sessions. In addition, you have the opportunity to attend trips and visits according to the needs of individual subjects. There are also many enrichment opportunities which enable you to extend your learning beyond the bounds of your chosen subjects.
Individual learning targets are set each term and you will receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets. By the end of the course you will have benefited from individual support including advice about higher education and careers.
How I'll be assessed
Assessment for this course is through a combination of coursework and examination. The examination period is May/June.
There are regular assignments, essays and class-based assessments to help you develop your study skills for the next educational step.
Applicants for the Applied Science Extended Diploma will normally have at least five GCSEs at grade 4 (C) (or equivalent) or above, including maths, English and double or triple science.
If you are interested in an A Level programme and have alternative qualifications you would like us to consider, please contact us with your details.
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview and complete an internal assessment.
All students will have their literacy and numeracy needs supported within the programme.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.