Bracknell & Wokingham College,
Bracknell, RG12 1DJ
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
A short course giving an introduction to manual bookkeeping leading to the City & Guilds Bookkeeping and Accounts Level 1 examination.
If you are looking to break into bookkeeping, or if you've already been doing it and want to get a qualification to prove your competence, then this is the right course for you. In a relaxed and supportive environment, you will be introduced to the many skills required to perform bookkeeping duties for businesses of various sizes.
- No prior knowledge or experience required.
- A text book is essential for this course.
- The exam fee is included.
What I'll learn
- Preparing, checking and understanding the use of various documentation including invoices, statements, credit notes, cheques and cash requisition vouchers. Preparation and checking includes calculating tax, trade discount, settlement discount, prices and price extensions.
- Entering invoices and credit notes into the books of original entry including sales day book, purchase daybook, sales return daybook and purchase return daybook. Posting the day book totals into the various ledger accounts.
- Recording two and three column cash book transactions. Updating a cash book from details appearing on a bank statement and preparing a bank reconciliation statement taking into consideration unpresented cheques, returned cheques, outstanding lodgements, direct debits, standing orders, direct credits, and other direct payments.
- Complete a petty cash sheet using the imprest system.
- Balancing ledger accounts, bringing down the balance for the following period.
- Extracting a trial balance from the ledger accounts.
How I'll learn
How I'll be assessed
This course will prepare you for the City & Guilds Bookkeeping and Accounts Level 1 examination.
For frequently asked questions regarding the exam, please click here or visit the City & Guilds website.
No previous experience required.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.