Bracknell & Wokingham College,
Bracknell, RG12 1DJ
Develop your skills in motor vehicle servicing with a practical programme that teaches you the expertise to thrive in this industry.
The motor vehicle industry keeps everybody moving. Specialist skills are needed by private individuals and industries such as public transport, HGV, retail delivery, breakdown recovery, emergency services and motorsports. If you have recently completed your Level 1 Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance, or you have prior experience in the industry, this is the next step in your training. The programme develops the essential skills you will need to begin working in the motor vehicle industry.
Study with us and you’ll train in a real garage workshop, working on real cars. Whether you do an apprenticeship or a full-time programme, you’ll face new challenges and stretch your abilities in a realistic working environment. On this programme you will learn the attributes, values, skills and attitudes for working in the motor vehicle industry. The programme is designed to increase your employability and prepare you for progression into a motor vehicle apprenticeship or onto a full time Level 3 programme.
Our state-of-the-art facilities include hybrid vehicle diagnostic equipment and the latest vehicle lifts. We have also been fortunate to receive donations of new vehicles from manufacturers including Hyundai, to offer students the chance to train on a range of engines. Our teachers create an exciting and supportive environment for students - offering insights and tips from their careers in the motor vehicle industry.
Successful students can progress to an apprenticeship in motor vehicle or on to the Level 3 programme at Bracknell and Wokingham College.
What I'll learn
You will extend your knowledge to progress towards the minimum qualifications or skill levels required for entry into industry.
- Materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
- Routine light vehicle maintenance
- Light vehicle engine mechanical, lubrication and cooling system units and components
- Light vehicle fuel, ignition, air and exhaust system units and components
- Overhauling light vehicle engine mechanical units
- Each one of these units also has a skills component, which is assessed through a variety of practical tasks in the workshop
How I'll learn
The programme emphasises learning by doing. It offers a good blend of practical workshop skills and activities linked to underpinning knowledge which is delivered in the classroom. The moodle (virtual learning) site allows you to view further information on the units and link to interactive activities.
How I'll be assessed
The assessment of this qualification is made up of 2 components:
- IMI Awards - Practical Tasks
- IMI Awards - Online Testing
Applicants for this Level 2 programme will normally have:
- 4 GCSEs grade D (including English and maths)
- a strong interest in motor vehicles
- a commitment to working towards improving English and maths
- the ability to discuss past experiences of education and future ambitions in an interview
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview and complete an initial assessment. All students will have their literacy and numeracy needs supported within the programme.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.