Bracknell & Wokingham College,
Bracknell, RG12 1DJ
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
This course provides a stepping stone for those who wish to develop their confidence to enable them to move up to advanced classes.
If you have studied this language at an intermediate level (B1/B2) or above or elsewhere then this course will enable you to recap and extend your knowledge.
You can check your language level with our downloadable guide on this page or check the entry requirements below.
If you would like to take the journey to the next level of your language ability in a relaxed environment, come and join us! You can check your language level with our downloadable guide on this page or check the entry requirements below.
Please note: this course does not run during the half-term/end-of-term breaks.
What I'll learn
Your teacher will provide a range of materials that will likely include:
- authentic newspapers, current affairs topics
- dedicated websites, blogs and short films
- authentic films, graphic novels etc
- regional culture and customs
These may vary depending on the learners’ ability and needs on the course.
This course does not lead to a formal qualification, but we are happy to discuss ways to take a formal qualification.
How I'll learn
Teaching methods include:
- Audio/visual stimulation and immersion
- Teacher-led, formal instruction
- Group and pair work
You will have the chance to use the language in real-life situations through fun and engaging role-plays and lively group discussions.
You will also have access to specialised websites for home learning.
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your language skills according to your own specific needs.
Read the 'can do' statements below. Which statements apply to you?
- I can use the main present, past and future tenses with confidence
- I am familiar with the difference between past perfect and the past perfect continuous
- I am familiar with the most common irregular verbs and their declinations
- I can use the imperative (formal and informal) and negative imperative
- I can use the subjunctive with confidence
- I can use the gerund wih confidence
- I can talk confidently about familiar topics
- I can manage conversations about unknown topics to a certain extent
- I can understand the gist of films and narrated stories
- I can write an essay of 140/160 words on a familiar topic
- I can understand feelings and points of view of others
- I can express complaints/my point of view fairly well
- I can make counter proposals, accept and decline invitations
If at least ten of the above statements apply to you, an Upper-Intermediate Course (either semester/phase) should be suitable for you, although it is recommended that, if possible, you do semester 1 before semester 2.
If you're unsure, call 0800 612 6008 or contact us here with any questions you may have and we'll get you on the right course.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.