Banbury, OX16 9QA
No prior knowledge of the language is necessary. All you'll need is a keen interest to learn!
This is a part-time course for beginners or people with little knowledge of the language, who are interested in learning some useful every day phrases and basic grammar in a relaxed environment.
You can check your language level with our downloadable guide on this page or check the entry requirements below.
You'll learn in a fun and supportive environment through a variety of engaging activities.
The tutor will use a range of resources (videos, games, role-plays and handouts) to supplement the course book.
Please note: this course does not run during the half- term/ end-of-term breaks.
What I'll learn
The topics are likely to include:
- Booking a hotel room
- Ordering food in a restaurant and drink in a café
- Tourist information
These may vary depending on the learners’ ability on the course
This course does not lead to a formal qualification, but we are happy to discuss ways to take a formal qualification.
How I'll learn
Teaching methods include:
- Audio/visual stimulation and immersion
- Teacher-led, formal instruction
- Group and pair work
You will have the chance to use the language in real-life situations through fun and engaging role-plays and lively group discussions.
You will also have access to specialised websites for home learning.
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your language skills according to your own specific needs.
Read the 'can do' statements below. Which statements apply to you?
- I have no previous knowledge of this language
- I know only a few words and phrases in this language
If either of the above statements applies to you, join a Beginner's Semester 1 Course. You do not need to read the rest of the statements below.
If neither statement applies to you, read on:
- I have studied this language for approximately 20 hours in an adult education environment or similar
- I know several words and phrases in this language
- I have studied this language at a basic level in the past, but my skills are rusty
- I can count up to 100
- I can use this language's alphabet
- I can give basic information about myself and my family ("my name is...", "I have a sister")
If at least four of the above statements apply to you, a Beginner's Semester 2 Course (either semester/phase) should be suitable for you, although it is recommended that, if possible, you do semester 1 before semester 2.
If you're unsure, call 0800 612 6008 or contact us here with any questions you may have and we'll get you on the right course.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.