What I'll learn
You work on a series of individual and group assignments which cover subjects such as:
- creative media production management
- working to a brief in the creative media industries
- understanding the television and film industries
- film and video editing techniques
- multi-camera techniques
- writing for television and video
- television and video studies
- film studies
- factual programme production techniques for television
- corporate and promotional programme production
- music video production
- advertisement production for television
- producing video installation work
- interview techniques for creative media production
- presentation techniques for broadcasting
- soundtrack production for the moving image
You will learn a range of digital design skills as well as becoming familiar with relevant software. These design skills include digital animation and website design, as well as DVD menu authoring.
In addition, there is also a video production element of the course in which you will learn to research, plan and produce a range of video productions, including a music video and a short drama. Theoretical analysis informs all areas of your practical work as well as giving an insight into how media institutions perceive audiences and construct products for particular markets.
How I'll learn
The Media Level 3 Extended Diploma has strong links to industry, reflected through guest speakers and outside clients. You have full access to the media centre which consists of a television studio, digital video and sound editing equipment, a radio studio and computing facilities. All students follow a functional skills programme.
You will improve the wider skills vital for success in further study or employment, including self-confidence, speaking in front of others, working with others, taking responsibility and managing your time. By the end of the course you will have benefited from a valuable insight into future careers open to you.
How I'll be assessed
The Media Level 3 Extended Diploma programme is 100% coursework based, which means there are no exams. Individual learning targets are set each term and you receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets. Formal assessment is through assignments, projects, presentations and practical assessments, which are set at regular intervals throughout the programme.
The qualifications awarded are the Edexcel National Diploma in Media and functional skills qualifications in English, maths or ICT. There is also the opportunity to study GCSE maths alongside your programme.
You need to be well organised throughout the year, enjoy working as part of a team and sharing your views.