Banbury, OX16 9QA
One of two pathways on the Health and Social Care Extended Diploma, this programme has a clinical focus with NHS industry placements. For practical, work-related industry placements in a Social Care setting, follow the links below.
For an overview on how the two pathways differ and what each potential career can offer, check out our Level 3 Extended Diploma with Social Care Industry Placements.
This programme is a mix of college-based study, training in simulated environments, some mandatory training in the hospital at the start of your placement, work experience in your first year and a 45-day Hospital Industry Placement in your second year.
The hospitals supporting this pathway and hosting industry placements are:
The roles you could progress to are:
- Nursing Associate Trainee (Level 5 Apprenticeship)
- Roles leading to nursing degrees
- Therapy Assistant
- Operating Department Practitioner (ODP)
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Support Worker
- Play Specialist
- Biomedical Science Apprentice with Pathway to Oxford Brookes Biomedical Science Degree (Oxford University Hospitals only)
For more information on the kind of jobs you could do when you graduate, visit the Health Careers website.
For a no-obligation discussion regarding your career progression on this programme, contact us now to book in a free, one-to-one chat with one of our expert career advisors.
This qualification is equivalent to three A Levels and gives you a number of other benefits, including:
- on-the-job experience putting you in the best place possible to progress into work
- a variety of experiences so you can better identify the area in which you want to specialise
- you will graduate with the qualifications to progress to university or employment
- an industry-developed curriculum which is practical, not theoretical
- a BTEC Extended Diploma which will earn you the UCAS points needed for university entry
What I'll learn
Get a broad introduction to the field of health and social care through projects and assignments based on realistic workplace situations and supervised work experience.
This programme includes modules across pharmacy, adult nursing, midwifery, mental health, healthcare science, children and young people.
At the end of the course you may decide to go directly into work or you could enter higher education. Possible careers include nursing, midwifery, occupational therapy or other professions related to medicine.
Throughout this course you will learn the necessary knowledge and skills that you will need in order to be successful in a career in the care sector. You will learn about the various care settings, as well as get a chance to apply all you've learnt during the course into a practical setting during your work experience.
How I'll learn
This is a two-year programme that includes a minimum of 45 days industry placement.
The purpose of these placements is two fold:
- You gain practical, real-life experience of working in your desired profession and gain practical, hands-on knowledge to help you graduate from the programme
- You build relationships with potential colleagues and employers; it helps you get your foot in the door at your desired workplace
How I'll be assessed
All units are internally assessed and graded. A selected sample are externally assessed and an overall grade for the qualification is awarded at the end of the course.
You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations and activities.
Work placements in health and care settings are essential to the course and provide valuable links between theory and practice.
Five GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, including English language and maths or a Merit at Vocational Level 2 in a related subject, including English language and maths.
If you don’t meet the required entry standard, don’t worry, we have other Health and Social care courses for you.
Positive references and a clear Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for all Health and Social Care courses.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.