Woodley Hill House,
Reading, RG6 1HH
A sculpting course specialising in modelling and glazing ceramic work.
This is a sculpting course specialising in modelling and glazing ceramic work.
You will learn to construct a range of varied and exciting pieces that explore numerous making and decorating techniques.
Please be aware that this is a mixed ability class and space in the Pottery is limited.
Please contact Woodley Hill House on 01344 766640 before enrolling if you are intending to bring a support worker with you.
Please note: this course does not run during the half- term/ end-of-term breaks.
What I'll learn
Beginners will follow a programme of projects which introduce them to a range of sculpting and decorating techniques.
Experienced students can be set more challenging projects or work on their own design ideas. All students are supported by the tutor throughout each project.
You will also learn about:
- Development of designs that can be successfully converted into successful ceramic pieces
- Creating a sculpture using different techniques (modelling, carving, construction and casting)
- Use a variety of ceramic decorative and glazing techniques
- Resolving any problems and be aware of areas for improvement
- How to apply Health and Safety guidelines in the ceramic studio
How I'll learn
Teaching methods include:
- Formal instruction
- Individual tuition
- Practical demonstration
- Practical experience
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your skills according to your own specific needs.
Some experience of ceramics/pottery would be beneficial but not essential; you work at your own pace and level. All students are supported by the tutor throughout each project.
The cost is inclusive of tuition, clay, glazes, and kiln space for up to two firings necessary to complete the pieces created. Specialist materials and tools will be given out by the tutor if necessary.
You will need to bring:
- a sketchbook and something to write with
- a towel
- an apron/wear old clothes that you don't mind getting messy
- enthusiasm for the subject and a willingness to learn!
You may wish to bring handcream and a dust mask. If you have sensitive skin, you may also wish to bring a pair of washing-up gloves.
You must wear flat shoes as this is a safety requirement. Working with clay can get very messy!
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.