Banbury, OX16 9QA
You will develop new skills and explore different making and decorating techniques suitable for both beginners and more experienced potters alike.
This is a practical, workshop-based course with group and individual demonstrations of a variety of techniques. You will work at an appropriate pace with your tutor's guidance.
Please be aware that this is a mixed-ability class and space in the pottery is limited.
If you want to keep practising, you can return for another class, or sign up for one of our weekly, mixed-discipline evening classes.
What I'll learn
You will learn how to wedge and knead clay and learn the step-by-step process of how to create with clay under the patient and friendly guidance of our experienced tutor.
More experienced potters will get tips on how to improve their technique, create more complex forms, and be given suggested exercises to help do so.
Techniques covered include:
- the following making methods; pinching, coiling, slabbing, press moulding, modelling/sculpting and wheel throwing
- following decorative materials; glazes, underglaze colours, metal oxides, coloured slips, relief built and incised surfaces (including sgraffito)
- develop a feasible ceramic design of own choice or at the tutor's suggestion
- resolve any problems and be aware of areas for improvement
- how to apply Health and Safety guidelines in a ceramics studio
How I'll learn
Teaching methods include:
- Formal instruction
- Individual tuition
- Practical demonstration
- Practical experience
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your skills according to your own specific needs.
Some experience of ceramics/pottery would be beneficial but not essential; you work at your own pace and level. All students are supported by the tutor throughout each project.
The cost is inclusive of tuition, clay, glazes, and kiln space for up to two firings necessary to complete the pieces created. Specialist materials and tools will be given out by the tutor if necessary.
You will need to bring:
- a sketchbook and something to write with
- a towel
- an apron/wear old clothes that you don't mind getting messy
- enthusiasm for the subject and a willingness to learn!
You may wish to bring handcream and a dust mask. If you have sensitive skin, you may also wish to bring a pair of washing-up gloves.
You must wear flat shoes as this is a safety requirement. Working with clay can get very messy!
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.