Woodley Hill House,
Reading, RG6 1HH
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
Spend a fun day creating your own unique animal sculpture!
This course is suitable for all abilities, enabling you to explore some of the range of hand building and modelling techniques that clay provides while creating your animal sculpture (maximum height & diameter 20cm). You will see examples of animal sculptures from cultures both ancient and modern, abstract and figurative before commencing work on your own sculpture.
What I'll learn
Techniques covered include:
- the following making methods; pinching, coiling, press moulding
- following decorative materials; metal oxides, coloured slips, surfaces
- the students bring photographs of the animal they want to make to save time
- resolve any problems and be aware of areas for improvement
- how to apply Health and Safety guidelines in a ceramic's studio
How I'll learn
Skills and practical experience of creating a unique clay animal sculpture
- A packed lunch and refreshments
- Photos and/or drawings of the animal you wish to sculpt
- an apron/wear old clothes that you don't mind getting messy
- enthusiasm for the subject and a willingness to learn!
You must wear flat shoes as this is a safety requirement. Working with clay can get very messy!
There is an additional charge for finished fired work, which is £5.00 per kg.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course