Oxford City Centre,
Oxford, OX1 1SA
Gain an industry-recognised qualification in professional cookery and show competency in both practical skills and theoretical knowledge with the Professional Cookery Level 2 NVQ.
Covering all the key elements of knife skills, preparation and cooking of meat, fish, poultry and pastry products, you’ll become skilled enough to be confident in any area of the food production industry.
What I'll learn
The units that you study are:
- maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- maintain food safety when storing, preparing/cooking food
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
- employment rights and responsibilities in the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism sector
- prepare, cook and finish basic soups
- cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- prepare meat for basic dishes
- cook and finish basic meat dishes
- prepare poultry for basic dishes
- cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- prepare fish for basic dishes
- cook and finish basic fish dishes
- prepare, cook and finish basic pasta dishes
- prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
How I'll learn
You have one full day at college starting and the day is split between practical classes and theory classes.
The practical sessions are fully hands-on as you observe practical demonstrations and recreate dishes to the best of your ability with the support and encouragement from the tutor.
The theory element of the course is portfolio based, which is an ongoing process of gathering evidence.
The use of technology is highly encouraged to enhance your learning experience.
You will also have the opportunity to run our professional restaurant kitchen giving you high quality practical experience.
How I'll be assessed
You will have scheduled assessments throughout the course to make sure you have reached the right level of competency.
Ideally you will already be working within the industry or have had some industry experience, but this is not essential.
No formal qualifications are required, although a reasonable level of English and maths would be useful.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.