Build up your business skills and progress your career with this course accredited by Pearson.
This course is also available part time!
Read on to learn about studying this course full time, or view the part-time version here.
The purpose of Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.
After successful completion of the 8 units for the HNC, you can then progress to an HND in Business Management by completing the remaining 8 units. You can then ‘Top Up’ to a BA (Hons) degree subject to meeting entry requirements.
This qualification is a solid foundation in business aimed at students who would like a broad knowledge of all Business Management concepts.The objectives of the Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business are as follows:
- To equip students with business skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global business environment.
- To provide education and training for a range of careers in business, including management, administration, human resources, marketing, entrepreneurship, accounting and finance.
- To provide insight and understanding into international business operations and the opportunities and challenges presented by a globalised market place.
- To equip students with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organisations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values.
- To provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in business, or progress to higher education qualifications such as an Honours degree in business or a related area.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives.
- To provide opportunities for those students with a global outlook to aspire to international career pathways.
- To provide opportunities for students to achieve a nationally-recognised professional qualification.
- To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field.
- To allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs.
- To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Silver Award
Based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that Activate Learning delivers high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
What I'll learn
The HNC in Business has 6 core units:
- Business and the Business Environment
- Marketing Essentials
- Human Resource and Management
- Management and Operations
- Management Accounting
- Managing a successful Business project
In addition, we deliver 2 specialist units:
- Business law
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business management
You will therefore study 8 units in total. The year is divided into 2 semesters, 4 units will be delivered in each 16-week semester.
The HNC will also develop your academic writing and research skills and give you the opportunity develop transferable skills such as communication, teamwork and problem solving.
- After successful completion of the 8 units for the HNC, you can progress to an HND in Business Management delivered by Activate Learning. On the HND you will complete a further 8 units. Following completion of the HND, you can then apply to ‘Top Up’ your qualification to a BA (Hons) degree subject to meeting entry requirements.
How I'll learn
Our HNC in Business is a distance learning modular business programme delivered online by our teachers through our Virtual Learning Environment. ‘Face to face’ lectures will be available via our conferencing facility so you can engage with tutors in real time. You will also have access to Pearson approved online learning activities that you can also access through our Virtual Learning Environment. These activities allow you to develop and expand your learning in your own time and are remotely supervised by your tutor. Every student will have regular one to one progress meetings and group workshops and tutorials with dedicated unit tutors.
Each week we will provide you with approximately 2 hours of tutor led learning for each unit, giving a total of 8 hours per week, this is supported by an additional 8 hours of monitored online learning. In addition, we would recommend that you allocate a minimum of 4 hours per week for independent study.
We understand the unique needs of students studying online; we understand you may be juggling work, family, and other commitments, and at Activate Learning we are experienced in supporting you to effectively manage these demands. We also have a dedicated team of Higher Education Study Support Tutors who are on hand if you need additional help.
If you feel that you require additional support with your studies, you will be eligible to access some discrete sessions in one of the following areas:
- assistive software training
- IT upskilling
- essay planning and structure
- proofreading and editing written work
- bibliographies and referencing
- time management and personal organisation
- presentation techniques
Additional requirements and costs
As this programme is delivered online to complete the course you will need reliable WiFi and a computer or laptop with a camera and microphone. Textbooks are available from our library bit you may wish to purchase personal copies of the core texts These will cost approximately £100
- A minimum of 64 UCAS points, or
- Relevant Access to Higher Education Diploma, or
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business or related subject, at a Merit
And GCSE grade 4 or above in Maths and English. Other L2 qualifications in English and Maths may be accepted
Other entry routes
We will consider a range of alternative qualifications or experience equivalent to the typical offer. Contact us for details if you believe your experience is relevant or you have different qualifications to those stated.
Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate that their level of English is acceptable, by achieving a score in a recognised test such as:
- British Council IELTS: normally minimum level 5.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in the reading and writing components
How to Apply
If you are interested in studying this course part-time please see our part time course details and application process.
If you are an international student, please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
For further information or questions about the course please contact the HE Admissions Coordinator at Activate Learning either by email: HE@activatelearning.ac.uk or phone: +44 (0)1865 551691
Fees for 2021/22 entrance: £6165 per year