Woodley Hill House,
Reading, RG6 1HH
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
This workshop will give you an overview and introduction to photographic studio techniques, including using both continuous lighting and studio flash.
You will be photographing a variety of challenging objects, managing reflections and you will capture appropriately lit studio portraits of both male and female models.
On completion of this course, you will be in a position to explore other short courses or enrol on the NCFE Certificate in Photography offered at level 2 and level 3.
What I'll learn
After brief discussions of the theory and background, the majority of sessions will be practical photography: photographing objects (still life/product photography) and male and female models (provided).
You will cover:
- Describe differences between continuous and flash
- Use correct camera settings for the above lighting types
- Explain and use “quality” and “direction” of light for various subjects
- Safely set up and capture studio based images of various objects
- Safely set up and capture studio based portraits of various people
- Use a variety of lighting modifiers and evaluate the results
How I'll learn
Teaching methods include:
- Formal instruction
- Individual tuition
- Practical demonstration
- Practical experience
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your skills according to your own specific needs.
You will need to bring:
- a sketchbook and something to write with
- a camera that has different shooting modes and preferably interchangeable lenses
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.