Waingels Adult Centre,
Denmark Avenue, Woodley,
Reading, RG5 4RF
This course is a great introduction to machine sewing and making clothes for beginners.
This practical, eight-week course is open to anyone of any ability who wants to gain confidence in using a sewing machine and learning techniques to complete a sewing project of their own.
You could design and make a cushion cover, a fabric book cover or tote bag. You may want to add an applique design to a skirt you own or up-cycle a denim jacket.
You will be shown the techniques to turn ideas into beautifully sewn items.
Tea, coffee and snacks are available to purchase on site.
What I'll learn
On this course, you will learn practical skills and tips, including:
- confidence using the sewing machine
- applique techniques
- embellishment techniques
- finishing techniques
How I'll learn
You will learn through theoretical and practical sessions including:
- key sewing and measuring techniques
- garment adjustments
- simple garment construction skills
- how to work with easy fabrics
Please bring with you:
- ideas you have for your design
- enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
- a basic sewing kit, fabric scissors etc. (useful but not essential)
We have some fabrics and threads available for you to use but the patterns and colours may not be your choice. Please bring with you any fabrics you wish to use or share.
Your tutor may suggest to you that some parts of your project could be completed at home.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.