Waingels Adult Centre,
Denmark Avenue, Woodley,
Reading, RG5 4RF
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
Take your applique designs and skills to the next level!
Take your applique designs and skills a step further and create unique pieces of work whilst exploring the potential of working with applique.
Projects will include working with wire to create 3D applique art or a fabric portrait on canvas. You'll also try reverse applique and other ways to manipulate fabric in your design.
The possibilities are as boundless as your imagination!
If you enjoy this course and want to go further, then enrol onto the ‘Mixed Ability Applique’ course or try one of our one day applique workshops.
What I'll learn
- Confidence using the sewing machine
- Appliqué art techniques
- Fabric manipulation, embellishment techniques, hand embroidery
- Finishing techniques
How I'll learn
- Individual tuition and guidance
- Practical demonstrations and experience
- Trouble shooting problems
- Your designs made into beautiful unique applique items
You will need:
- ideas you have for your design
- enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
- basic sewing kit (tutor will advise what you will need on the first lesson)
- a canvas for your finished artwork (optional)
We have some fabrics and thread available for you to use but the patterns and colours may not be to your liking. Please bring with you any fabric, threads, ribbons, buttons you wish to use. 1.5 m of calico is included in the course cost.
Refreshments and snacks are available to purchase on site.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.