A chance to learn some basic signing in a relaxed and friendly environment.
British Sign Language (BSL) was recognised by the government as a language in its own right in March 2003. BSL is the first or preferred language of an estimated 70,000 Deaf people in the UK. BSL is a visual-gestural language, with its own grammar and principles, which are completely different from the grammatical structure of English.
This course is designed to teach you to communicate with deaf people in BSL on a range of topics that involve simple, everyday language use.
You will gain basic skills and confidence in production and reception of BSL. This will be suitable for those who:
- want to learn basic language skills to communicate simple conversations with Deaf people
- want to learn new language skills as part of a programme of study
- want to progress to more advanced study and/or employment using BSL in the future
- are studying for personal development
- are parents, family, friends or colleagues of Deaf people.
What I'll learn
At the end of the qualification, learners will be able to:
- ask common questions and give replies in British Sign Language
- sign in social and work environments
Some deaf awareness will be included as part of the course
On completion of Signature Level 1 Award in British Sign Language, a wide range of further qualifications are available, including:
- Signature Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language
These qualifications could potentially lead an individual to various employment opportunities.
How I'll learn
Teaching methods include:
- formal instruction
- pair work
- individual tuition
- practical demonstration
- practical experience
Furthermore, you will get the opportunity to develop your skills according to your own specific needs.
BSL competence standards include requirements for candidates to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL.
It is the responsibility of the centre to explain these requirements before accepting a candidate for this course.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.