Woodley Hill House,
Reading, RG6 1HH
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
This workshop is an introduction to colour-thinking for people who want to learn how to use colour better in their painting and drawing, or who are aware that they have difficulties in finding the right colour.
This is a practical class in using colour more effectively, showing how to see and use colour better and how to mix the ‘right’ colour with more precision.
You would benefit most from this class if you already have some experience of painting, as this workshop will be looking almost exclusively at colour rather than painting techniques. It would be good to bring an example of your work in which you know the colour does not work and an example of good colour work if you can.
Activate Learning offer a range of Painting and Drawing courses and workshops throughout the year, but this course leads naturally on to any painting or drawing course that makes use of colour.
What I'll learn
- How to avoid muddy colours in your painting work
- How to apply simple theories to your colour mixing and learn about how we see colours in painting
- How to mix and choose better colours in your work
- How to look for colour tones and values
How I'll learn
- With tutor demonstration and guidance you will practice painting with colour and tonal values
- Paint using materials you are familiar with
- Make colour experiments and putting what you learn in your painting
- Share your findings with the rest of the group
Basic materials will be provided (such as paint, cartridge paper and brushes) but you may wish to bring along any materials and equipment you already have, such as:
- An array of paint brushes, rags for wiping brushes etc
- Paper/canvas, sketch book, pencil,
- Correct painting attire
- Clean white palettes for accurate mixing
- Black and white paint
- Vermillion or cadmium red paint
- Crimson or magenta red paint
- Lemon and cadmium yellow paint
- Cerulean, prussian or cobalt blue and ultramarine paint
Packed lunch (refreshments are available on site for a small cost)
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.