Woodley Hill House,
Reading, RG6 1HH
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
This course is suitable for anyone wanting to learn the basics of painting with watercolours.
Projects set will be suitable for both new students and those wishing to expand their painting skills.
You will be supported through demonstration and instruction by an experienced tutor.
When you have finished this course, you could progress to Art: Watercolours for Beginners and Improvers Term 2.
What I'll learn
Techniques covered include:
- explore the materials and equipment used in watercolours and learn how to use them effectively
- start to understand the characteristics of watercolours
- explore mixing basic washes and wet into wet techniques
- explore lifting out and resist techniques
- understand the names and properties of a basic colour palette
- explore colour mixing
- understand basic picture composition
- topics may include landscape, still life, animals, figures and plants
How I'll learn
Teaching methods include:
- formal instruction
- individual tuition
- practical demonstration
- practical experience
There isn't any formal homework, but we will be planning for future lessons by gathering visual material and planning for classwork.
Basic drawing skills would be useful but not essential.
A specific materials list will be emailed to you prior to the start of the course. There may be additional costs for these materials. Again, this will be made clear in the list of specific materials emailed to you.
Art can be messy, so please wear old clothes you don't mind getting dirty or bring an apron.
How to Apply
You can register for this course online. Click on ENROL NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register your contact details online and verify your account
- Go to your desired course page and click again on ENROL NOW. Follow the link to pay for your course
Course places are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. We would encourage you to enrol on your chosen course as soon as possible. If you prefer to enrol in person please visit us at one of our college Advice Centres or enrol over the phone via 0800 612 6008.
This course will be run subject to demand. If you wish to enrol within one week of the start date, please call us on 0800 612 6008 first to check the course is running.