Bracknell & Wokingham College,
Bracknell, RG12 1DJ
New and returning learners:
Please note that due to special measures we have put in place to make our sites COVID safe, we are asking all learners to enrol with us online. If you are unable to do so we can support you over the phone, simply call 0800 612 6008. Please do not enter our college sites without a prior appointment as we are managing the number of people on site at any time to comply with social distancing measures.
See information about the measures we are taking to keep learners safe while on campus.
This intermediate level course is designed to give you a broad base of knowledge and experience to prepare you for employment or for progression onto one of our Level 3 pathways in either, art and design, fashion and clothing, graphic design or photography.
Explore your creative side in our warm and friendly, purpose built spacious studios, all together in their own designated zone within the college.
The art and design industries infiltrate our world through endless routes of specialised creativity including painting, textiles, printmaking, graphics, fashion, computer design, concept art and sculpture to name but a few.
BTEC Firsts in Art and Design can help you take your first steps towards a career in visual arts. You will learn essential skills throughout the year including following briefs, meetings clients’ needs and communicating your ideas through art, design and exploration. The qualification give you the chance to explore your creative abilities, develop your individual knowledge, skill and understanding.
Each year, our students have the opportunity to take part in our End of Year Festival to showcase their work. Take a look at our video of the 2019 show, "Arrival".
What I'll learn
During the course you will work to gain:
- An awareness of different viewpoints and approaches within the arts industry both historical and contemporary
- Skills in research, analysis and evaluation to assist in your development of creative solutions when meeting a brief
- An ability to use safely the appropriate materials, techniques and processes necessary for the production and application of art
- Reflective evaluative and annotation skills to help you with your individual learning development and decision making, planning and time management
- Practical 2D and 3D skills through research, experimentation and design
How I'll learn
BTEC offers structured professional qualifications for anyone taking their first steps into the world of work, recognised by universities throughout the United Kingdom. You will follow a one year programme that will prepare you for your next step in your education and career prospects.
BTEC have worked closely with over 5000 employers, universities, teaching professionals and trainers in education to develop a wide range of BTEC Arts qualifications that develop an individual’s creativity and individuality.
How I'll be assessed
Throughout the year you will have both internal and external set units of work in a wide range of art areas. You will be required to demonstration in-depth research for each unit, a range of practical skills, personal experimentation and development and written reflection and evaluation, these will be assessed using a grading scale of Pass, Merit and Distinction.
Minimum of 3 GCSEs grades 3 (D) or above including English and usually maths.
- Level 1 qualification in Art and Design or a portfolio of work
- If you do not have a grade 4/C in GCSE English language and/or maths you will be required to be working towards achieving these alongside your art course
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.