Oxford City Centre,
Oxford, OX1 1SA
Receive practical training in all areas of theatre production. In your second year, you'll specialise for the career you want.
Activate Learning’s two-year UAL Diploma in Technical Theatre and Stage Management offers broad, practical training in all the areas that contribute to a theatre production, with the opportunity to specialise in your second year in the area you wish to take into a long-term successful career.
Go on to pursue a successful career in stage management, or in one of the varied and fascinating technical career options:
- scenic art
- technical and production management
What I'll learn
The course covers the following areas:
- Stage management, stage electrics and lighting design
- Sound design and production sound engineering
- Scenic art, scenic construction and property making and procurement
- Set design and technical drawing
- Alternative theatre production
- Technical, production and company management
- Video projection and the manipulation of digital imagery
In addition to these areas, you will also cover first-aid certification and health and safety in the workplace.
How I'll learn
From the outset, you will work on Activate Learning productions as crew and/or operator.
These productions are directed by professionals and usually involve professional designers. In your second year you will work alongside them in more senior roles, for example:
- stage manager
- deputy stage manager
- assistant stage manager
- production electrician
- head of construction
- wardrobe supervisor
- scenic artist
- production manager or property maker
You will also undertake a professional placement with a theatre company, organisation or practitioner.
No prior knowledge of the subject is required, but you will need five GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.