Access to HE
Develop the knowledge and study skills you need to gain entry to a university-level course in hospitality, tourism and events.
The Access to Higher Education Diploma (Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism) is a Level 3 qualification which prepares people without traditional qualifications for study at university.
It is designed for:
- adults with a current or previous role or interest in the hospitality, leisure or tourism industry
- adults who, because of social, educational or individual circumstances, were unable to participate in or benefit from initial education
- adults from groups under-represented in higher education
- adults seeking a change of direction because of unemployment or lack of career opportunities in their previous field and who have a demonstrable interest in entering a hospitality, leisure or tourism related profession
What I'll learn
Learners primarily progress to higher education study in areas related to Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism.
These may include some of the following areas of degree-level study:
- Airline Management
- Public Relations
- a range of combined or related degrees
In addition, some colleges may offer internal progression to, for example, Higher National Diplomas in the areas of Hospitality, Leisure or Tourism.
How I'll learn
You will learn through a variety of lectures seminars workshops and tutorials.
Credits are gained for a variety of tasks such as quizzes, case studies, essays, reports, presentations and timed assessments.
The main aim of this course is to prepare students for study at university. Students will receive subject specific study skills preparation, as well as tuition in subjects that are relevant to their chosen degree course.
How I'll be assessed
Assessment is via a combination of exams (approximately 30%) and coursework (approximately 70%).
Assessments are a mixture of:
- structured questions
Once awarded the Access to HE Diploma, students will be able to start a university degree, provided they have met the entrance criteria for their chosen universities.
Applicants must be over 19 and have been out of full-time education for a year.
No specific qualifications are asked for, however a GCSE grade 4 (C) in English or maths would be beneficial.
You will have a numeracy and literacy assessment to check your suitability to study at Level 3.
At your initial assessment you will need to demonstrate that you have a realistic career goal in mind and the motivation to achieve. Some degrees require that you have some relevant paid or voluntary work experience and you should take this into consideration.
Applicants are strongly advised to check degree entry requirements with prospective universities.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online. Click on APPLY NOW and follow the steps below:
- Register for our online service and verify your account
- Log in to our website and click APPLY NOW on your chosen programme’s page to complete your application
As part of your application, you will be asked to provide us with your contact details, how your chosen programme fits with your future plans and if you require any extra support (for example, because of a disability, medical condition, learning or language support needs).
Please include full details of your qualifications from your own country, as well as details of any English Language tests you have taken.
Printed application forms are also available.
Please contact our Careers team if you need advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme for you.