What I'll learn
You will develop the skills necessary for further academic study, such as strong report writing, essay writing and study skills, including presentation skills.
You will also improve the wider skills vital for success in further study or employment, including self-confidence, speaking in front of others, working with others, taking responsibility and managing your time. By the end of the course you will have benefited from individual support, including clear advice about higher education and careers.
How I'll learn
You will be following the OCR (EMC) specification.
First year (AS):
Unit 1: Exam – Exploring language. Anthology of non-fiction spoken and written texts.
- You will have to compare the way meaning is conveyed in two texts from the anthology.
- You will have to write your own non-fiction text based on one of the pieces from the anthology.
Unit 2: Exam – Exploring literary texts.
- You will study The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald and Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake
Second year (A2):
Unit 1: Exam - This will be based on the anthology studied at AS and unseen texts.
Unit 2: Exam - Poetry and drama: In addition to the poetry text studied at AS, you will study Jerusalem by Jez Butterworth.
Unit 3: Exam- Reading as a writer, writing as a reader
- You will have to write analytically on the novel studied at AS.
- You will have to produce a passage of narrative writing and write a commentary on it.
Unit 4: Independent study (coursework)
You will write an analytical comparison of two texts, one non-fiction from a list set by the Board and one (fiction or non-fiction) of your own choosing. One must have been written after 2000.
How I'll be assessed
Formal assessment is through examinations and (in some subjects) through coursework. The examination periods are in May/ June. There will be a range of regular assignments, essays and class based assessments to help you develop your study skills for the next educational step. Individual learning targets are set each term and you will receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets.