Activate Learning is committed to protecting your privacy. This privacy notice explains how we collect, use and share your personal information, and your rights in relation to the personal information we hold.
This privacy notice concerns the collection and use of student data.
Activate Learning Further Education Corporation is the controller of personal information, and is subject to the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
We may collect, use and share your personal information in order to carry out our public task to provide education and training to you.
What information we hold
The categories of personal information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Personal information (such as name, unique learner number, contact details, previous address, employment status, ethnicity, household income where relevant, your eligibility for pupil premium whilst at school, criminal convictions, emergency contact/parent or carer details, photographs and other media);
- Characteristics (such as residency status, nationality, date of birth, and including special category data such as ethnicity, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and sex life);
- Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons, entry/exit barrier use);
- Educational records information (such as assessment grades, predicted grades, behavioural sanctions, targets set and achieved);
- Medical information (such as relevant medical or health conditions);
- Special educational needs information (such as special educational needs declarations, disability details, details of additional learning support requirements and whether you are in receipt of any additional support from the College);
- Prior educational records information (such as previous qualifications attained and grades);
- Bank Details (allowing us to collect payments and pay you any awards you are eligible to receive);
- Browsing history on Activate Learning networks.
Why we hold your information
We use student information to:
- Support learning;
- Monitor and report on student progress;
- Provide appropriate guidance and pastoral support;
- Assess and improve the quality of our services;
- Comply with the law regarding data sharing;
- Keep you safe;
- Comply with our contractual obligations;
- To keep you informed about issues affecting and related to your studies;
- To keep in touch with you and form an alumni community after you leave college;
- To record and showcase the work of Activate Learning.
The lawful basis for using this information
Under GDPR, we are able to process information on certain legal grounds (bases). In the case of student information, we collect and use information under the following bases:
- Article 6b - the fulfilment of contract
- Article 6c – legal obligation
- Article 6e – public task
- Article 6f – legitimate interests
- Article 9j – Statistical purposes
Collecting student information
The majority of student information you provide to us is necessary for us to fulfil our contract with you to provide educational services tailored to your needs and failure to supply such information may mean that we are unable to provide the support you require and are unable to enrol you onto one of our programmes. It is also collected to ensure that we are able to receive funding to provide education services and failure to provide information will mean that we are unable to enrol you onto one of our programmes. On the other hand, some student information is provided to us on a voluntary basis. We will inform you whether you are required to provide certain information to us or if you have a choice in this.
Under some circumstances, we may obtain information from third parties, such as your previous school or the local authority where applicable, for reasons such as ensuring continuity of support for those with additional learning needs or monitoring safeguarding concerns.