Activate Learning Further Education Corporation is the controller of personal information, and is subject to the Data Protection Bill 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
We may collect, use and share your personal information in order to protect the health and wellbeing of our students and support their learning and development.
What information we hold
The categories of personal information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Personal information (such as name and contact details);
- Contact history (such as correspondence and meeting notes).
Why we hold your information
We use your information to:
- Contact you in the case of an emergency;
- Comply with the law regarding data sharing;
- Comply with legal obligations around the health, safety and wellbeing of our students.
In the case of parents and carers of students who were under the age of 18 at the start of the academic year (31 August), we use your information to:
- Support our student’s learning;
- Report on student progress;
- Facilitate the provision of appropriate guidance and pastoral support;
- Assess and improve the quality of our services.
The lawful basis for using this information
Under GDPR, we are able to process information on certain legal grounds (bases). In the case of you information, we collect and use information under the following bases: legal obligation and public task.
Collecting your information
Your information is provided to us by the student concerned and is necessary for us to protect the health and wellbeing of our students and support their learning and development. Failure to supply such information may mean that we are unable to enrol the relevant student onto a course at Activate Learning.
Storing student information
We store your information securely and in line with our Data Protection Policy and associated procedures. A copy of our Data Protection Policy can be obtained from the Data Protection Officer, whose contact details are listed below. We hold your information for up to one year after the student leaves Activate Learning. We are required to hold safeguarding records for a set period of time and, on some rare occasions, your personal information may be included in these records and therefore held for seven years.
Who we share student information with
We routinely share your information with:
- Providers of selected software;
- Work experience or apprenticeship employers if relevant to the student’s course;
- The relevant Local Authority;
- Awarding bodies.
We do not share your information with anyone unless it is necessary and in line with the lawful basis for processing listed above, or with your explicit consent. Where data is routinely shared, a data processing agreement will be established to ensure the protection of information.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to:
- Request access to the information we hold about you (Subject Access Request);
- Be informed of the identity of the controller, the reasons for processing their personal data and other relevant information necessary to ensure the fair and transparent processing of personal data;
- Object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress;
- Prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing;
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means;
- In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and/or
- Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the data protection regulations.
Ref: SS0003 Version: 001 Date: May 2018